Chance Academy hires committed, experienced, and caring teachers who are passionate about working collaboratively to teach in ways that help and support students in their academic and social-emotional growth. Our teachers focus on mastery as they support students to use their knowledge in unique ways like making connections between content areas, taking risks using their knowledge and confidently applying what they know. Like our students, we support and mentor our teachers to hone life-long learning habits to become master teachers.
A full description of current jobs and information on how to apply are available below.
Are you passionate about science? Do you have what it takes to instill in students the nature of science? Come join a committed, caring, and innovative team that supports faculty to teach in the way that best serves the students. At Chance Academy, we believe that learning is about doing; that hands-on work to understand the why and the how of information is the foundation of gaining knowledge. For science that includes fostering students to build on their curiosity to design experiments to answer their questions about the natural world through critical thinking based on evidence and reasoning much like a real scientist would approach their work.
Chance Academy in Northeast Washington DC is seeking candidates for an immediate opening for a K-8 Science Educator for the 2023-2024 school year and beyond.
Chance Academy is a special place to work. We are unique not just in our approach to education, but in our dedication to teacher self-care and to a culture of restorative practices to address challenges. Together, our team works toward a positive, values-based learning environment in which each child is supported and challenged to grow both academically and emotionally.
The ideal candidate for the Science Teacher position enjoys working with students K-8, is familiar with multi-aged classrooms, and brings an enthusiastic, inquiry- based approach to learning. This position requires content competency in earth science, life science, and physical science. The candidate should also have experience or familiarity with inquiry-based lab design, project-based learning, and science fair and science fair programming. The successful candidate enjoys being an active member of a team, working collaboratively and creatively with other teachers. We are looking for the candidate who knows how to build strong relationships with students, colleagues, and families and whose classroom management is founded on positive reinforcement. Finally, the successful candidate is eager to grow as an educator and to work weekly with a Science Teacher mentor who will provide guidance and support to ensure a successful transition to teaching at Chance Academy.
Position: Part-time, with potential for full-time
Benefits: Dental, Vision, Long- and short-term disability, Life Insurance
Salary: $35.45/hour-$45.12/hour, depending on experience and skill set
Paid holidays and academic year breaks
Summer Pay: Up to 5 weeks of optional paid summer work for professional development or other program needs
- Teach one Science class for students ages 6-9, twice a week for 45 minutes.
- Teach one Science class for students 10-16, twice a week for 50 minutes.
- Meet weekly with Science mentor
- Participate in all Staff Meetings, usually twice a month
- Participate in program field trips or other activities when appropriate
- Supervise one lunch period or study cafe period per week.
- Work collaboratively with other team members for program needs
- Carry out other duties as assigned or arise during the academic year
- Minimum BA/BS in a science or in science education
- Minimum of 3 years working in a science laboratory or in project-learning based classroom
- Experience in working with children ages 5-10
- Committed to being a positive and supportive member of a diverse community of faculty and families
- Maintain a professional environment in all program settings
- Arrive and depart campus punctually and be available onsite as agreed upon in statement of work
Required to apply:
- After reviewing this job annoucement, submit a cover letter sharing why you are interested in this specific position especially addressing how you will be able to contribute to our science program.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]